Wednesday, December 1, 2010

blog 4

My nephew is around one year old currently. I spent most of my time before school started hanging out with him, enjoying the time. Sometimes I spend so much of my time around children with developmental delay; I am always enamored watching a typically developing child. I remember how amazed I was when he started to develop object permanence. This was such an awesome time to interact with him. During this time he would look for items that have “disappeared” in front of him. I had forgotten from my undergraduate developmental class how early this could develop.
I remember my absolute delight when he just the week prior he had not paid attention or looked for an item that was not in his view. I was playing with him with one of his favorite toys, a plastic, squeaky giraffe. He started to look around for the object once I took it out of his view. I was amazed that a baby of around 4 months was looking for this item.
The recap of this course has been refreshing as I have been able to look at skills from a typically developing perspective. I think because I spend my time in the world of developmental delay, I remained so amused by things that other people might take for granted. I know I have appreciated every moment of watching my nephew develop as a precious gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment